Home | Historical Information | Organization & Equipment | Vehicles & Markings | Photos & Videos
Insignia | Awards | Casualties | Training School | Contact Me | Website Map


Individual Commendations

The following excerpts from the official commendations illustrate a few of the many acts of courage that were so consistently demonstrated by the officers and men of the 752nd. Hundreds, if not thousands, of other acts of gallantry, heroism, and bravery went unreported on a daily basis.

Excerpts from the official commendations:
"Three tanks of another platoon were knocked out. ...at the risk of his life, [he] exposed himself to fire from enemy machine guns and snipers in order to locate the enemy. After the threatening guns and vehicles had been spotted, [he] returned to his platoon and directed fire against them until they had been destroyed."

"The tank ...received a direct hit from the gun of a German Mark VI tank. The assistant gunner was killed instantly, the platoon leader was seriously wounded and died shortly thereafter, and [he] was seriously wounded. With utter disregard for his own safety, although seriously wounded, [he] exposed himself to small arms fire and automatic weapons fire in an attempt to remove the wounded officer from the tank and secure necessary medical attention."

"His tank became stuck in a ditch about 800 yards to the left of a German Mark IV tank... At the time, [he] was 300 yards to the front and 400 yards to the left flank of friendly infantry. Unable to get help, ...[he] left his tank and made his way back on foot ...[and] was fired on by several enemy snipers. After obtaining assistance and having his tank removed from the ditch, [he] directed the destruction of the Mark IV tank and the crippling of a self-propelled gun. By his utter disregard for his personal safety in exposing himself to enemy fire and obtaining assistance for the stranded tank, [he] accomplished the removal of a grave threat..."

"...the tank in which [he] was gunner moved out ahead of friendly elements, going about 1000 yards into enemy territory under heavy machine gun and sniper fire. Two wounded American infantrymen were sighted and the tank was halted. ...[he], with utter disregard for his personal safety, dismounted from the tank, lifted the wounded men to the rear of the vehicle and then held them there until the tank had made its way back through heavy machine gun and sniper fire to an Aid Station."

"Observing that the enemy positions could not be fired upon directly without great risk of life and tanks, [he] ordered all but his own tank to a defiladed position and attacked alone to the enemy's flank. Upon engaging the enemy, [he] raised himself in the turret of the tank, fully exposed to intense fire, and threw hand grenades into the positions. As a result of this deed, [he] destroyed two machine gun nests, captured twelve prisoners, saved many lives among the infantry and enabled them to advance more rapidly."

"...his tank was hit and partially disabled by fire from a Mark IV tank. However, he continued to lead the advance, penetrating to a depth of six miles in enemy territory. ...[his] tank again was hit, and began burning. After ordering his crew into other tanks, [he] reorganized the remainder of his company... The daring leadership displayed by him in the performance of this deed exemplified the highest traditions of the military service."

"...went out on foot to make a reconnaissance of the positions... Despite heavy small arms and sniper fire, he completed his reconnaissance, returned to his tank, and moved forward under direct artillery fire... Under the heavy enemy barrage he guided his tank over one emplacement after another until the entire area was cleared... His determination to destroy the enemy force and his cool and skillful leadership greatly aided the infantry..."

"...encountered a stretch of road which was mined. ...[he] dismounted from his tank and advanced ahead of the column on foot. Almost simultaneously, the enemy delivered an intense artillery, anti-tank, and mortar barrage, knocking out two vehicles and wounding him... After supervising the evacuation of the wounded, [he] again moved ahead of his column on foot through the heavy barrage, locating and neutralizing mines to enable his vehicles to advance. ...exposed to enemy fire, he directed fire upon the Germans, forcing them to withdraw."

"When [his] tank was hit and set fire by enemy shelling, he dismounted and ordered the crew to take cover. Noticing that the driver remained in the tank, [he], although wounded himself, returned through intense shelling to the burning tank and rescued him."

"...his platoon was subjected to intense enemy artillery fire. One tank of the platoon was hit and the crew, with the exception of the tank commander, evacuated the vehicle. Not knowing the fate of the tank commander, [he] returned on foot to the area being shelled. [He] led the way again on foot, through several hundred yards under heavy shelling to a place of comparative safety."

"An enlisted man suffered an abdominal wound from the strafing and, not being conscious of his own actions wandered aimlessly around, exposing himself to the continued strafings. ...seeing the man's action, [he] left his covered position, and at the risk of his life, went to the aid of the wounded man. He pulled the wounded man down and shielded him with his own body"

"[His] tank was hit, with the concussion throwing him out of the turret. While under direct fire from enemy machine guns, anti-tank guns, and Tiger tanks [he] immediately returned to his tank and helped his crew get out of the burning vehicle... He then supervised the movement of another tank, also under fire, to another area not visible to the enemy... [He] took command of another tank which was short a crew member and re-entered the battle."

"After everyone had dismounted it was discovered that one member of the crew was missing... With utter disregard for his safety, [he] went to the assistance of the wounded comrade, but was unable to take the soldier from the tank because of the heavy enemy fire. He then mounted the tank, started it and moved it of necessity slowly, approximately one and a half miles under heavy enemy artillery fire until the tank could no longer run."

"...encountered an enemy mine field. Ordering his tanks to a defiladed position, [he] dismounted under an intense enemy barrage and cleared a path through the mined area. His tanks continued up the steep incline but were again halted ...when one of the leading vehicles was knocked out by enemy artillery and the trail blocked. [He] again dismounted, hooked a cable to the disabled vehicle, directed its removal from the road, and continued the attack."

"The first and third tanks in the column were disabled and the platoon leader and the platoon sergeant were both wounded, leaving [him] in charge. The gravity of the situation called for immediate withdrawal, but [he] held firmly to his position and covered the withdrawal of the crews from the disabled tanks. The enemy launched a strong attack from both flanks... When the enemy closed in on the vehicle, so close that the 75mm gun could not be lowered sufficiently to be effective, [he] rose in the turret and sprayed the oncoming Germans with his sub-machinegun. His courage and resourcefulness was an inspiration to all who witnessed the action..."

"...the Germans launched a strong counter attack at [his] platoon, using six Mark VI tanks and approximately 100 infantrymen. After placing the remainder of his tanks in strategic positions, [he] took his own tank to meet the oncoming enemy armor. Waiting until the lead tank was within 75 yards of his position, [he] fired two rounds, both of which failed to penetrate... Determined to stop the assault, [he] took his tank through a side street... Moving to a point within 50 yards of the leading vehicles, he opened fire and knocked two of the Mark VI tanks out of action. ...breaking up the enemy attack and forcing the Germans to retreat in disorder."

"[He] turned his tank to meet the approaching force. In the face of intense bazooka fire, he engaged the enemy in a fierce firefight. Beating off all opposition, though sustaining severe wounds, [he] halted the attack, disorganized it, and forced the enemy to retreat in his immediate sector by laying down a withering fire... Despite severe wounds, [he] refused to be evacuated until he had aided his men from the tank and guided them to safety."

"After helping to extinguish the flames on their clothing, he turned his attention to the vehicle, fully combat loaded with 120 rounds of 105mm ammunition, which was then enveloped in flames. The heat by this time had become so intense that the casings around the shells had melted and the ammunition threatened to explode... Fully aware of the danger involved and with utter disregard for his personal safety, [he] with another Sergeant, climbed into the vehicle and smothered the flames..."