tanks of either A Company or B Company are parked along a snowy
mountain road, some 6,000 feet high in the Italian Alps. Photo was
taken just south of the Brenner Pass on 4 May 1945, two days after the
war in Italy had ended. (Official U.S. Signal Corps photo).
Lewis Arbuckle of B Company poses in front of his M4A3 76mm tank in
Gorizia, Italy 29 July 1945. Note the rubber chevron track blocks,
duckbill track extenders, and spare track blocks over the driver's
position. This is Tank B5 of the first platoon.
||Men of B Company pose next to an M4A3 76mm tank in
Cormons, Italy several months after the war had ended. Note the
shininess of the turret, and the large block lettering "Blonde Buster"
on the hull. Though most of the "old-timers" had already rotated home
under the points system, quite a few combat vets were still waiting it
crisp military drill once again became part of everyday Army life in
postwar Italy. Here, the 752nd drills at Caserma Amadio in Cormons,
which served as the 752nd HQ during part of 1945.
Villa Piccoli Brazza Martinengo, built in 1715, served as the 752nd
command post at Soleschiano during the early postwar period. This is
where the 752nd was awarded its Distinguished Unit Citation by General
Bolte in September 1945. Lt. Col. Woodbury continued to command from
here until his departure a few days after the citation ceremony.
1946, the men of the 752nd were sent to Cortina, Italy on a two-week
mountain training mission without their tanks. High in the mountains,
it has been said that this was the best place ever found for training.
Shown here is an inspection at the Ampezzo Hotel at Cortina d'Ampezzo.
Today, Cortina is world famous for its outstanding ski resorts.
A6, strangely named Ah!D'Broom, parades along Riva Tre Novembre in
Trieste on 2 May 1946. This parade celebrated the first anniversary of
the end of the war in Italy. This tank is a wartime veteran equipped
with the old VVSS suspension. (Official U.S. Signal Corps photo).
the war ended, the 752 was equipped with the newer HVSS model of the
Sherman tank. Shown here is a 105mm HVSS Assault Gun during maneuvers
with the 88th Infantry Division at Ossopo, Italy, 8 November 1946. Note
the unusual use of the old "star in circle" identification on this new
vehicle. (Official U.S. Signal Corps photo).
752nd M4A3 76mm tank with the new HVSS suspension takes on a tree
during maneuvers at Osoppo, Italy on 8 November 1946. This tank from C
Company is named "Cat". The practice of knocking down trees with tanks
was discouraged. (Official U.S. Signal Corps photo).
752nd was permanently assigned a full compliment of 75mm M24 light
tanks after the war ended. Here, D Company crew members place a tarp
over an M24 named "Dolly" in Cormons on 8 November 1946. This
photo was taken just a few days after a visit to Gorizia and
surrounding area by 5-star General Eisenhower to the 88th Infantry and
752nd Tank Battalion on 16 October 1946.
Company M24's lined up at Cormons. Tanks were generally given names
beginning with the letter of the company. Tank D17 in the foreground
was named Duration Plus, apparently named by wartime crewmember who was
still waiting to be shipped Stateside. Other known names were Dorothy
(D16), Dottie (D13), Dot (D6), Deadline (unknown number), and Dolly
(Unknown Number, see above
conduct maintenance duties on their T2 tank recovery vehicle named "Big
Weldon." This particluar vehicle had soldiered all the way up the
Italian boot during the war. Note the fake main gun tube. Photo taken
at Udine on 8 November 1946. (Official U.S. Signal Corps photo).